Saturday 8 February 2014

External Examiners

We were told to get our work staged by 1000 yesterday for the external examiner.  I had been out in London every day this week, so had failed to set up my work, and when I saw the appalling weather early in the morning, decided not to go to class.  But Antje was upset that my work was not there, so at 1100 I decided to give the journey a try, as the rush hour was over.  I checked the traffic reports, decided to avoid the motorway, planned a couple of alternative routes and set off.  There were a few roads closed but I arrived at uni at 1300, having made my way through a couple of waterlogged roads via Sawbridgworth and Harlow.  I threw my research, exhibition folders, print samples, jam jar covers and textile samples on a wall and desk, just in time for the External Examiner's review session.

I went upstairs to the 2D workshop and was delighted that my hemp/ramie upholstery fabric and cotton roller towel fabric had both been printed.  I spent the afternoon steaming them, before taking them home.  As the weather forecast continues with more storms and rain, it is quite possible that I won't make it in to class on Monday or Tuesday (when I am scheduled for a progress review).  I dislike driving in inclement conditions; my normal route is easily affected by bad weather; and I am particularly wary of situations where I can be stranded eg if the car conks out with unexpected flooding.  Having prepared the fabric for two projects, I have plenty to be going on with if stuck at home for a few days!

This afternoon I washed the roller towel fabric; cut, pieced and edged the 3 different roller towel lengths,  and put them on to wash again.  They are still at the resolved sample stage, rather than finished pieces.  Being critical, I have not spaced the imagery sufficiently on the fabric; I need to resolve what numbers go with each utensil; whether a phrase needs to be stitched on as well; and would it look better on a pale cream fabric, rather than white.  I cannot stitch at present as I broke my thumbnail a couple of days ago, and cannot hold a needle.  But in principle, I think this collection of roller towels works well.

Ironing the longest roller towel 

Pressing the seam

Neatening the edges

And again


Additionally, I popped back into the studio yesterday, as I was leaving.  The External Examiner had appeared to have looked at my work, and left two of my books open.  One showed my plan of work for the coming weeks (I'm so pleased I thought to create a plan!) and the other was a sketchbook open at a line drawing of a lemon squeezer, drawn with a stick.  So do I need to do more drawings with an irregular outline, rather than the careful dimensional shading?  Hmmm!


No comments:

Post a Comment