Tuesday 11 February 2014

A Thought Provoking Progress Review

I had my progress review with Sally and Steve today, about my 4 collections for final degree project.

Jam Jar Covers (Unseen)

Steve and Sally were quite pleased with these, and were handling them and looking at the stitch in detail.  They liked the variety of threads, hand and machine work.  Sally suggested I should photograph them individually, and this made me remember an idea I had to create a little photobook, that played on the circular nature of them.

I said I was struggling with how to display them, and currently concluded they should be stacked in grouped piles (vice Edmund de Waal).  They disagreed with this, as they liked them layered in pairs and trios, maybe displayed vertically and backlit.  I said they curled up in the studio atmosphere (hot and either dry or humid)  and I could not work out how to display them vertically.  Sally suggested stab stitching invisibly together and putting link stitches to create a grid of covers.  Although I can do this, the fabrics are cut on the cross and are therefore fragile; they warp and distort in heat.  We discussed various ways of displaying them to accentuate the workmanship effectively, but none of them would work.  Displaying them between two sheets of glass would be cumbersome, and detract from the textile qualities.  Ironing on cellophane backings will not last long enough.  Adding a woven or fused backing will detract from the delicacy of the materials.  Putting a light box underneath shows the stitch when a couple of covers are stacked, but the effect of the fabric is lost.  Further thought required.

Roller Towels (Unending)

The three lengths of towels worked well but Steve questioned the use of iconography.  They wanted a coded diary of use, playing on repetition and narrative.   They did not like the consistent spacing of items down the right hand side.  I said I wanted to use more space between and to use a wider range of utensils, so none were repeated. Steve suggested a random spacing all over the fabric.  Sally suggested a sequence of utensils used in one dish, eg cake making, shepherds pie.  Possibly culminating with a bowl full of the different utensils at the bottom of the longest roller towel.

I said I was considering putting different numbers against each image, possibly with the numbers increasing as the roller towels got longer.  They suggested putting dates or quantities instead, the most obscure the better, to make the audience work to understand the work.  Or putting standard phrases from recipes like "cream until light and fluffy".  Or spacing images in line with timings of preparation.  Currently the spacings were too uniform.

We looked at the mark making on the digitally printed monoprint sample.  I was not taking this further as no-one had given me positive feedback about it.   Sally suggested I digitally lift some of the textured areas that suggested cake making spatula marks and layer this with the hand drawn utensils.  Or lift some of the circular marks that look like scouring scratches and use them.   I quite like this idea, to use marks that suggest a patina of use.

I said I had thought about putting one through the wash constantly until final show, or abrading holes and darning them, and little patches to mend, maybe with a stitched comment.  We discussed burning holes (no, too many negative associations with my Mum's accidental cigarette burns and the smell of stale smoke!), and scorched iron marks.  Abrading yes, but burning definitely no!

Part of the Furniture

I said I was making an upholstered collection of a rocking chair and footstool, both of which have detachable cushions.  These would be placement prints: the chair with a colander drawing and cross stitched "drained" and footstool with pastry in a bowl and "resting".  Steve favoured a multiple pattern over the fabric, so the message took more time to consider.  Single objects are too easily read.  Sally suggested words on the arms of the chair - so the tactility of the stitch was felt.  The message needs to be embedded in domestic language or more hidden.  Consider how to make less in your face. Too like a t-shirt with a slogan.  Sally suggested photographing the furniture and collage ideas onto them.  She suggested putting the word "Drained" on to a button if the cushions were buttoned, or a phrase along a line of quilting through the cushion (which is what this chair has).  Steve suggested looking at Mark Titchner (nominee for Turner Prize).

Steve said there were 4 options.  Domestic pattern, format (poster type), structure, or placement print.  He was not in favour of placement print.


No comments:

Post a Comment