Sunday 9 February 2014

Cutting upholstery patterns

I have made less progress today than I had hoped, but feel quite positive about the quality.  I was very wary about cutting the hamp/ramie fabric for the rocking chair.  I was also reluctant to cannibalise the original covers on the chair.  So I have spent the afternoon carefully measuring the upholstery cushions, and creating paper patterns for each piece.   Slow work but it will make cutting the pattern much easier.

I am now wondering whether I should make up a lining for each upholstered cushion.  The originals don't have them, but I wonder whether they would make the hemp/ramie sit better?  Or would the linings ruck up and sit wrongly?  Or maybe the lining fabric should be stitched direct to the hemp cover fabric, then made up as an integral part of the cover?  I need to find out about scotchguarding the fabric too.

Cutting the seat pattern

Cutting the zip facing


No comments:

Post a Comment