Wednesday 5 March 2014

Other students having a hard time/what to say at my review

The rest of my class had their dissertation results a couple of days ago.  Although everyone passed, there were quite a lot of people who were disappointed with their results.  Then we had a seminar where one student had some harsh feedback that contradicted feedback received earlier in the day at a different tutorial.  It was a hard day, although I was not on the receiving end of it.

Then I had my final review brought forward to next week!  So, what will I have to say?:

My interest lies in the concept (women's work) and the link with the object on which is is portrayed.  There is a lot of symbolism that integrates the concept and object.  (It is not about the materials.  It is not about the making.  I am a thinker and observer, rather than maker).  My work fits the domestic setting so all my objects are domestic, mundane objects.

Jam covers (Unseen). Finished, except for staging.  The fabrics won't stand handling, so will be arranged on a plinth or float shelf, stacked (cotton fabrics) and overlapped (sheers), so they are having a conversation with each other. Virtually complete.

Women's Work ( Unfinished).  These are the knitted samples on stitch holders.  They are very complicated border designs that allude to the lack of recognition given to work that is unfinished, despite it demonstrating high skill levels.    The positioning of the design alludes to how the skills of marginalised people  are unnoticed  although they are critical to the effect of a final piece of work. Women's work is often un recognised because it is never finished. Currently working on the third, five to be completed.

Women' Work (Unending). This is the roller towel series.  These have been pared back to just a line of script, emulating a glass cloth.  Words are very important to me, so this piece will be plain digital print which has just repeated Women's Work, interspersed with verbs about making a cake on the short one; making a shepherds pie on the second and lemon merangue on the long one.  It makes the point that women's work is unending.  Design done.  Roller Towel supplied.  Need to test soda ash printing on digital printer. (timings dependent on Lisa). Prepare my fabric (down to me).  Print on roller towel (dependent on Lisa)

Women's Work (Cyclical). This will be a series of 3 tea towels that are circular.  There are lots of circles in cooking - saucepans, bowls, tins, hob rings, colanders, drainage holes, plug holes, so circles are important to me as a shape.   Maybe a coloured tea towel with a hand drawn object and a cross stitched number associated with how many times my Mum used the object.  Intention is to demonstrate how kitchen tasks are repeated in a loop - cook, serve, eat, wash up.  Maybe these words should be cross stitched around the edge.   Drawings are done, just need to sort out designs on photoshop.  Feeling anxious about these.  Dependent on my photoshop skills.

Two extra ideas I would love to do but not sure whether I have time/skills

Women's Work (Overlooked). Repeat pattern curtains.  Hand drawn utensils in a repeat pattern, with a large variation in scale.  Memory problems if I want an 8' pattern repeat.  I would like to have a 7' high potato peeler included, to make the point that you need to stand back and look at the bigger picture.  If digitally printed, the peeler could be pieced into the curtains.  Reluctantly I think this is too ambitious, but it is a great idea.  I would love to do curtains for their sheer domesticity, and for their size.

Women's Work (Supportive). Upholstered stool tops or settee cushions.  I did an interesting exercise with Vanda using circular designs, which I loved.  The base drawings are done.  I just need to do the colour work and photograph them, before digitally printing them.  I would like to cross stitch around the sides Mixed Up for the mixer, Ground Down for the mincer, Drained for the Colander and Resting for the pastry bowl.
Wom

Women's


No comments:

Post a Comment