Tuesday 26 March 2013

Thoughts from the Swimming Pool No 6

I had a good swim today, and during my 1200m swim, I drew the following conclusions:

My latest work on kitchen implements is good, especially whe I associate the amount of work that my Mum did, with the implement.  For example the caption for the wooden jam spoon is 2,800 lbs of jam, and for the potato peeler it is 140,000 lbs of potatoes.  My work always has a high emotional content, but I need to be selective about which emotions I portray.  When I think of the work my Mum did, it is also associated with the fact that my Dad never said thank you, which I think is very sad.  But this is not what I want to portray.  I want to recognise the amount of work done by women, and be pleased to give thanks for it. 

This fits with my interest in motivation theory.  There are many theories of motivation, but one that sticks in my mind, is the one that says there are 8 forms of motivation.  I can't remember them all, but they include money, status, power, and recognition.  I know I respond to recognition above all other motivational factors.  I also feel very strongly about the role of women, the role of carers and the lack of respect given to these people.

I thought about some lovely finely woven sheer wool fabric I saw yesterday.  It is prepared for digital printing, but I was not sure what would make a suitable application for it.  It would make a lovely soft warm scarf.  Then I thought about printing a potato peeler on one end, and the caption 140,000 lb on the other.  Would this make a good gift for an aunt or granny, recognising the unseen value of their manual labour?  Or an art installation with a row of scarves hanging up, with various implements on one end, and the weight of the output on the other - wooden spoons, potato mashers; irons.  Also if the scarf fabric were folded, what about the implement on one side, and the product on the other - the jam spoon and the jam; the iron and the perfectly ironed shirt etc. 

I have also been thinking about the positioning of the images.  At the moment my work is simplifying.  Whereas my work used to be very busy, I am now reducing the amount of detail all over, and focussing on a single detailed image, and its positioning.  I like quite a lot of space around the image.  I also like the image touching one or two edges.

No comments:

Post a Comment