Tuesday 5 March 2013

Thoughts from the swimming pool no 5 - Textiles or Print

It was a poor swim today (I was tired) but I had some good thoughts about my work. 

Yesterday I was drawing kitchen utensils, in black fine liner, feeling ok about my drawing style, having looked at Giorgio Morandi.  I also thought about class feedback regarding making small marks and making them larger, and large marks and making them smaller.  My drawing of the potato masher was particularly satisfying and I wondered about considerably enlarging it, to see how the small marks turned out.  Then I thought about the New Designers exhibition where I saw a wallpaper hanging with a huge hand drawn plant on the 8' long drop.  So I wondered about:

a. doing a 6' long potato masher.  Printed on fabric or paper?
b. doing a 6'long potato masher overlaid on a 4" repeat print of kitchen utensils
c. doing a 6' long potato masher printed on 8" tiles using decals
d. applications for posh kitchens/restaurants
e. prints for furniture/floor coverings/curtains

Last week Vanda challenged me about why I was applying print to textiles.  And I suppose I am not sure.  I like fabric, but really I want to draw familiar, mundane objects, and then use them somehow.  Maybe the fabric is not really important.  Is it the drawing or the story behind the object that is important?  I like the domestic kitchen object, and I particularly like the potato masher, because (again) indirectly, it is about Jim.  He is definitely a potato man (does not really like pasta or rice)  and the potato masher is a utensil I use a lot, for his benefit.

No comments:

Post a Comment