Monday 11 March 2013

A helpful tutorial

Today I had an unexpected tutorial with a visiting lecturer, Laura Milligan.  Laura is a textile artist who works in print on textile and paper and applies her art to domestic products (wallpaper, cushions, lavender bags, coasters, greetings cards etc).   Key points from my tutorial are:

My art is not about the object I draw, but rather the skill that went into the drawing
The detail is what makes it work
The interest is in the meaning behind the object - the lines and detail of how it is drawn form the outcome. 
The lines that go into the drawing are mine.  I own them.
Keep the back ground mild/subtle. 
Stick to cream.  Let the drawing speak.
Things that are hand made have idiosyncracies - white is too perfect.
Details are about women - the time they take - behind the making
Work up ideas - worry about the form later.
Consider cheap tiles and ceramic marker pen.  (Esther Coombs)
Digitally print - then stitch to embellish
Manually print - then stitch to embellish
Consider tiling designs, then using individual tiles for cushion series.
Then change the background colours for the fabric
Consider the front and back of cushions.
Use double tile section so design (eg draining spoon) wraps round cushion
Labels on your work - Cash's name tapes
Women theme - apply single motifs to aprons and other domestic items for women.

A very helpful discussion.

I am starting to realise my design style is changing.  My work used to be very busy and very high colour.  Feedback from a previous tutor looking at my work was that it was obvious I had had a very busy life - which surprised me, albeit totally true.  Now my life has slowed down and simplified, my work is simplifying.  I am very content to sit and draw manually.  To sit and observe, working in monochrome.  To enjoy the detail without needing to overwork it.  Just simple lines used to create shape, form and tone. 

Long may this continue.

No comments:

Post a Comment