Saturday 23 March 2013

High Quality Feedback from Vanda

After my exhausting day at the NEC, I had a full day at uni yesterday.  I had had a selection of my hand drawn kitchen tools printed on hemp/ramie fabric.  Vanda and I discussed it, and the following are the key points:

- Small and delicate marks work really well, at the small and delicate scale.
- My marks work at actual size.  They do not magnify well.
- Therefore enlarging the object needs to be done manually by me - small marks over a bigger object will work equally well. Enlarging the object and the mark in Photoshop does not work as well.
- Avoid outlines all the way round the object.  Where my drawn object did not have a hard edge (I had used the magnetic lasso tool and it had skipped the fainter marks), the image read better.
- To get an even edge on a hard outline without using a drawn line, use a mask. What a useful tip!!!!
- Draw large scale with a fine pen. 
- Don't restrict thinking by considering end product.  Just draw.
- My work is only as strong as my drawing.  QED: my drawing needs to improve.
- Draw + print = end product, at this stage.  Don't try to find applications
- Just photoshop to crop out selected bits of drawings eg just the scale pan or just the weight end of the balance scales
- Research gender history with cloth. Subversive Stitch by Rosika Parker. Ring my family.
- Stitch jam labels. 
- Make own jam labels.  Caren Garfen. 
- Luggage labels - with significant phrases.
- Use feedback phrases and attach labels to printed cloth
- Round buttonholes. 
- Explore labels.
- Explore pockets.

Thank you Vanda.  I think I'm going to fly.

No comments:

Post a Comment