Tuesday 29 April 2014

Policy and Politics

I have struggled with one of my tutors stating my work is very political.  I have never seen it this way, merely that my work is about recognising the work of under-valued and under-recognised groups.

However I had a conversation with Val Inns at uni yesterday, which gave me a different insight.  I have spent a lot of time working out how to apply various policies at work, particularly equality policies.  Provided I agree with a particular policy (!), I put a lot of thought into how behaviour (mine and others') demonstrates compliance or otherwise with a policy.  Val made the point that this is what politics is all about!  I had never thought of this before. I had viewed Party Politics with considerable disdain, because of all the posturing and weasel words spouted by elected politicians and party leaders.  As policy defines what is to be achieved and strategy defines how it is to be executed, I have a lot of experience in defining and applying strategy.  So given I am clear about what the purpose of my work is, and the reasoning behind it, my work must be political.  Perhaps I interpreted my tutor's statement as saying he took a different political stance to me!

Yesterday I printed some linen fabric as a repeat pattern.  I had all my hand drawn images, and Lisa thought it would make a lovely apron.  So we printed a metre.  It came out very well, although not to my taste.  I think the beige ground fabric makes it look like a vintage fabric, and I am not aiming to create a product for that market.  I liked the bright red cotton poplin repeat print that I made, as it is more contemporary retro, and I am happy to target that market.

Repeat print fabric after steaming

Close up of the pastry cutters

And my favourite jug

My favourite drawing of my Mother's worn wooden spoon.

One pattern repeat of the steamed fabric



No comments:

Post a Comment