Friday 18 April 2014

Digital print coming off the printer

I have been a big brave girl at the dentist, braces removed, and am now half way through work on my bottom jaw to gain more space.

Jim drove me to uni so I could collect the fabric that Lisa had told me was ready.  The red silk fabric looked great with just one wooden spoon printed on it.  The red poplin was very interesting.  There had been a fault in the printing after about 1m so Lisa had stopped the 4m print run, which was as well as there were a couple of mistakes in how I had created it.  I steamed the fabrics to set the print, and then feeling exhausted, Jim and came home.

Red lining before steaming, with one image for back of coat
Note the stripes from where the fixative is uneven.
It does not appear to affect the final fabric after steaming.
The day before Easter, I washed the fabrics and they looked great.  I took my 1960's black coat, turned it inside out, and took all the critical measurements and made pattern pieces for the front, back and arm lining fabric.  Then the moment of truth - I had to cut the silk!  I positioned the wooden spoon in the centre of the back, where it could be seen with the coat open.  Once cut, I cross-stitched at the bottom of the spoon, the number of pounds of jam my mother had made over her lifetime.  I carefully ladder stitched the lining into the coat, while watching Harry Potter on the television on Good Friday.  I have to say I think it looks great.

Stitching the lining onto the cuff

Stitching the lining into the coat

My half drop repeat fabric.
I think the motifs are too close together and need some careful editing.

The steamed lining fabric
I am not at all sure my tutor will like the hand drawn object on a coat lining, as he does not seem to get my work at all - but middle aged women always do!  And something else that has occurred to me is that my tutor Steve was very keen that I should identify a venue for my work.  The place that I can see my work being appreciated and understood, is at the Knit and Sitch show at the Ally Pally, or the Festival of Quilts.  These events both have exhibition spaces for serious textile artists, and we have had a previous student invited to display there.  The audience at both of these events would understand my work.

No comments:

Post a Comment