Sunday 3 November 2013

Thoughts from the bike ride

I went out with Jim and Maurice for a 12 mile bike ride, and had some thoughts while beating into a headwind.

I thought about what it is that I am interested in regarding the kitchen and cooking.  It is about the manual nature of cooking, the manual tools, and the hand made product.  It is about the time invested.  It is not about meal preparation, celebration meals or the individual ingredients.

I was thinking about the Salts Mill exhibition where there was a length of woven suiting with the actions verbs woven into the selvedge.  I am drawing selective pieces of kitchen equipment and cannot decide whether the individual pieces are enough, or whether to combine them.  Something like a worn wooden spoon has a narrative in the wear and tear of the implement, but I have already drawn and used this.  I have drawn the potato peeler, and noted the amount of potatoes peeled in a lifetime.  So if I am interested in process, does a line of objects used in making, say, a mince pie, need a written line of narrative to explain how much time it takes to make a mince pie? (As demonstrated in the piece at Salts Mill?)
Phillippa Lawrence, The Fabric of Making

Phillippa Lawrence, The Fabric of Making


Since I got all hurt last Monday, I have drawn colanders, measuring jug, pastry cutters and a jar of mincemeat.  Only 5.  Not enough.  I think the knife, bowl, rolling pin and mince pies need to follow.  Less talk, more action.

No comments:

Post a Comment