Saturday 6 October 2012

Thoughts from the Swimming Pool

I swim a couple of times a week, and sometimes my most productive thinking comes when I am flogging up and down the pool.  I am acutely aware that I need to start the thinking about my degree essay, but this thinking session was more about my textile print project and my identity.  Hopefully it will get me started towards the essay thougth process.

I am trying to understand my personal artistic zeitgeist.  I know I like the hand drawn (reaction against the modern computerised, technology driven age), and I like pattern.  I like the practical application of pattern making, so I want to make printed fabrics that get used in the domestic interior.  I like drawing small objects - often domestic things around me - and this moves from crockery, cutlery and kitchen items, to fruit and veg.  I see myself as an intelligent woman, and a textile artist.   I also know what I do not want to be - or to be seen as by others - a middle aged, middle class craft hobbyist.  This fills me with dread.  I am quite ok that other people may be quite happy to fill this arena, but I cringe that others looking at me might think I make little things to be put on the wall.  I want to master pattern making so that I can make fabrics that are good enough to be used in the domestic interior, but specifically without the impression that the finished object (cushion, upholstered furniture, curtains, etc) has been made by a hobbyist.  So, a really professional outcome where the product looks considered and fitted to its environment.

I am interested in domestic interiors and what factors drove the development of style and technique.  I am curious about the drivers rather than interior design per se.  I have a place on a 10 week series of lectures at the V&A "Home Sweet Home" which covers development of the home environment from Victorian times up to the present day.  Unfortunately this does not start until January 2013, which is after my degree essay is due.  I think this class might cover a lot of the pertinent material for my sphere of interest, but I can't change any of the timescales.

However I do have one massive asset as a student - time.  I have retired from full time work, and am studying part time.  So I have 2 years in which to develop my pattern making, and technical print skills - which is twice what the full timers get.  Also I do not need to fund my studies with part-time employment, and my husband is very supportive.  He is also retired, but views my textile degree as having the same importance as paid employment.  So when I go to uni, he assumes the role of house-husband and maintains our home so that my contribution is limited to cooking and shopping.  This means the rest of our time is spent enjoying each other's company

I am fascinated by how pattern has developed, and have realised that some print fashions have been due to the effects given by specific techniques.  I will probably focus on screen printing and digital printing.  (At least at this stage, this is what I think I will focus on - it may change!)  Screen printing has been popular for 50 years and can be used to achieve the effects of Arts and Crafts designs, which were block and roller printed.  I won't be doing block and roller printing because I can't carve blocks, and we don't have the commercial roller printing machines, but screen printing will give the relevant effect.  Digital printing is very much of today's age.  The University of Herts has just obtained a digital printer, that will digitally print onto whole rolls of cloth.  I know I need to master this as it is the primary 21st century technique, although I have concerns about my limited photoshop skills and how too much work with the computer mouse traps a nerve in my neck. 

My design style is very busy.  I had not realised this until my Drawing tutor gave me feedback that my work was very busy, probably because I had had a busy life. Which I have had, to date.  I had not realised just how much what we are, comes out and is expressed in our work.  I have completed 30 years of paid employment.  28 years full time, latterly irregular rotating shift work, then changing to part time unsocial hours work, combined with parental care responsilities and part time study.  What amazes me, is that I had not linked the busy life, with a busy artistic style!

Since my Dad died two years ago (he had Alzheimer's disease) my life has simplified, and I wonder whether my art and design work will simplify likewise.  When I was in Australia last year, I did a lot of artwork that expressed my feelings about caring for my Dad, with his difficult behaviour.   I like an intellectual content and challenging messages in my own and other people's work, but I feel as if I have expressed my challenges.   When I look at my sketchbooks, I can see that I have expressed a lot of emotion through my artwork.  I have done projects on parents who have given children up for adoption, first world war, inherited objects, and care responsibilities.  The colours and techniques used have been unconsciously chosen to represent the emotions felt.  But now I feel I am moving to a more intellectual level of design, where I want to understand why historical styles used their colours, techniques etc.  This will broaden my understanding of external factors, before I apply the knowledge to personal and internal factors.

As you can see, I think a lot when swimming!

No comments:

Post a Comment