Sunday 7 October 2012

Joy, peace and contentment - my emotional zeitgeist

I'm thinking about how to structure the practical research for my degree project.  The reason why I have the statement "Joy, Peace and Contentment" in my blog title is that these are the most common emotions I experience when I am doing practical artwork.  This is the emotional feel I want to come across in my work.  I have managed to express other emotions in my art work, such as sadness, grief and humour, over the last few years.   The changes I have achieved in my life now mean I am mostly in the joy, peace and contentment sphere. Joy, peace and contentment are my emotional zeitgeist. I also do anxiety and frustration, but this is usually when I am trying to work up a new project or am working to deadlines, so this is self-inflicted and by choice, so I can't complain, but agree with my husband's comment "you are always like this at the beginning/end of a project, and we both know it comes with the territory and you WILL cope".

I think my degree essay and project will be strongly linked.  I like the haptic sensations of artwork and I want to link my work with my recent experiences in Australia.  I did half a sketchbook on a pomegranate that grew outside the house where we lived.  Now Jim and I are back in the UK, I want to develop this pomegranate theme with the historical styles of textile print throughout the 20th century in Britain.  So I have read a book on Pattern Design in the UK and want to work up a series of repeating textile designs in a variety of design styles using the pomegranate.  Can you imagine repeat pomegranate designs, in Arts & Crafts, art nouveau, art deco, Weiner Werkstatte, modernism, contemporary, psychedelia, op and pop art, country cottage, power? I can.  Also, the word pomegranate means apple, multi-seeded.  I think the multiple interpretations of a repeated print pomegranate, sits well with the meaning of the name.

My reading to date (largely Dr Cathy Treadaway) has raised the concept of "disciplined noticing", which I think would be useful to the development of my practice.  In the process of manually working up repeat patterns in different art styles, I want to document how it makes me feel, and whether the haptic interaction with the art materials enhances my ideas generation and evolution of design.  Does this subsequently lead to my work having personal symbolism and value (like my previous work about family issues)?  Or will the positive emotions of joy, peace and contentment give a different "emotional charge".  Will the emotional reception of the viewer be affected, or not?  Does this matter?  Or is my emotional sensation while making, just of relevance to me?

No comments:

Post a Comment