Friday 19 October 2012

Getting my essay started - time to remain calm

It is normal for me to undergo quite a lot of anxiety prior to getting started on a new piece of work.  I  have now attended two plenary sessions for my essay, and after being quite anxious about whether my subject was worthy and whether I could cope with the academic requirements, have relaxed a bit. 

I try to be a good student, by attending all plenary sessions, listening to tutors and students and taking adequate notes.  (I don't trust my memory, so notes are essential).  I have been appalled by some of the behaviour of some attendes at the plenary sessions - if you don't pay attention (especially when you are not the brightest star in the sky) you can only expect to fail later.  However, having taken copious notes, I am quite surprised at how helpful (if obvious) the essay writing instructions are:

- Create a system for collecting material (set up an indexed file).  I will need 20-30 sources, 5-6 major sources.
- A high level of research will make my work trustworthy.
- Google and Google Scholar
- A higher level of access is available via UHVPN.  Access this via username@student via the University of Hertfordshire VPN.  Then access Google Scholar. 
- Use National Art & Design Library at the V&A
- Use databases via Voyager/Scholar - these are robust and peer reviewed.
- Use authoritative sources - ie says who?
- Do not use hobbyist sources - I am not a middle age, middle class hobbyist.  I am a textile print artist!
-Robust sources reference ideas across several disciplines
- Once you have found a good writer, google the person's nam
- Seek discrepancies between information sources. This enables development of informed opinion
- Use most recent source.
- Present the evidence and take a stand (this should not be a problem for me!).
- Identify the new and the contentious
- Identify who has disagreed with your key points
- Seek academic writers who have noted the same patterns and search further.
- Query whether commentators have had the same message.  Identify similarities and differences
- I am not writing for the ordinary person - I am writing for the educated textile
person.  (But I want my work to be inclusive and accessible, not exclusive and inaccessible - so choose words carefully).
- Make fewer quality points - quality not quantity
- Recognise the pertinence of your points
- Lemon squeezer - make a good exploration of your points
Talk about creative decisions and criteria - What are you trying to do; who else is doing interesting stuff; why is it interesting?
- Dovetail theory and practice to maximise your time.
- Duplicate dissertation notes into practical sketchbook.
- Identify what you want to say.  Edit to only the most important.
- What is relevant to me as a creative practitioner?
- After Research (then and only then!) include own opinions.
- In research, you will kiss a lot of frogs before you find the prince! (I am starting to find this out!)

Essay aesthetics come at the end.  This is a creative process.

Time to get to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment