Saturday 10 May 2014

My Mother's Work - Unfinished

My Mother's Work - Unfinished


This collection of knitted pieces arose from a conversation in my favourite wool shop.  I was admiring the christening shawl pattern and laceweight wool chosen by a group of Polish ladies, who I discovered were migrant workers.

We were discussing the complicated pattern for the christening shawl and laughing about how long it would take to make.  I said the baby at the centre of the ceremony would be unaware of the time and effort put into making the complicated and delicate knitting.  One of the Polish ladies commented that it was unusual to have someone comment on their skills to be able to make such a shawl, as normally a shawl was admired only when complete, and wrapped around a new baby.  I reflected on how work typically carried out by women, often required high levels of skill, but while incomplete, was unacknowledged.  I also mused on how marginalised and minority people are frequently unrecognised for their skills, and decided to create some knitted pieces, where the most highly skilled work was positioned on a margin, as a border.

These knitted samples celebrate the quiet practice of women, like my Mother, who used their unsung and unrecognised skills for the benefit of others.

My Mother's Work - Unfinished

No comments:

Post a Comment