Friday 9 May 2014

Final notes for the sketchbook

My Mother's Work - Supportive

How the Concept fits the object:  A lining to a garment supports and improves the experience of wearing it and extends it's life, similar to the way in which women's work supports enhances and improves the experience of living to those around her.

How the work evolved: originally this concept was to be applied to upholstery for a rocking chair or settee, to play on how women's work cushions and supports against life's hardships.  However, I discovered I did not have the skills to hand stitch the quilting on the detachable cushions to my chair, and did not have the furniture renovation skills to strip a wooden ercol settee.  However, I did have a 1960s original coat belonging to my Mother, and the concept was tweaked to support and enhance, rather than support and cushion.

Skills developed:  Pattern cutting - turned coat inside out and measured all dimensions of lining.  1960s patterns are cut with more shaping than modern coat patterns!

Difficulties overcome:  I was reluctant to give up on the idea to work on larger scale items, but concluded my skills were not up to the image I had in my mind's eye.

Key artistic influences:  Georgio Morandi - drawing style.  Stephen Cohen, A seat for the rich on the lap of the poor (chair upholstered with fabric where the imagery comments on the object).

No comments:

Post a Comment