Tuesday 8 October 2013

Meeting my new tutor

I met my new tutor, Steve today.  I found my tutorial very helpful.  As I have a clear idea of my concept and originating artwork, we discussed what outcome I am aiming at.  This was a bit of a shock as I feel I have been steered away from this to date, and encouraged to think about the concept and the art, not a final destination/product.

So am I aiming at a commercial object with a statement, or an art object?  Neither really, as I am not comfortable with the purpose of the art object, neither do I want to be a commercial designer, although somewhere down the line, I can see applications from my work in both fields.  I do like exhibitions with an agenda, so maybe this is where I need to aim.  I really liked the Gay Icons exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery, as it has an inclusive message to show a diversity of inspirational people chosen by known gay people, like Elton John, Sandy Toksvig and Clare Balding.

 So I need to think about what site such an exhibition would fit with my agenda of Women's Work.  Steve suggested fitting it to somewhere like Hatfield House, but this is too old for my focus.   I am in the generation of postmodernism, after all.  So I might go back to the Jeffrey Museum and look at the 1950s room.  I have also persuaded Jim to take me to Salts Mill to see the Cloth & Memory exhibition on 26 October in Bradford, when there is a curator's tour and seminar.

So, I need to identify a site where my "exhibition with an agenda" would fit, research other artists' use of the idiosyncrasies of a site; research other artists' work about 3rd wave feminism; and apply my skills to the above.  Not a lot then!

And to keep my hands busy in the meantime, I random dyed quite a lot of muslin in marmalade colours, ready for samples in Monoprint, kantha stitchers, leading up to a rather interesting idea I have about folded cushions.

No comments:

Post a Comment