Sunday 20 October 2013

In the thick of it

I feel completely exhausted.  I spent a day at Vanda's class, working with text, then had an evening out at a lecture by Drusilla Cole, followed by a day at Aunt Audrey's, investigating 1950s coats.

In Vanda's class we were working with text, starting with creating different text backgrounds.  I used the words "Women's work" using thick paint, and charcoal in assorted styles.  My work was ok, but the Karin, Jane and Brenda all did much more inspirational versions than me.  Then we worked on drawing an object on a book index, an image, and a piece of corrugated card.  I drew a biscuit on each one, as it fits with my cooking theme.  Once again, everyone else's work looked better than mine, but that's the way it goes sometimes.







As usual Vanda gave me some feedback that was well observed and useful.  I have recently been to the Paul Klee exhibition at the Tate, and although glad I went, his style of art was not to my taste.  Vanda observed that I go to most of the big exhibitions, but not to applied art galleries.  This is true, and I conclude that I am not making best use of my time before my finals next year.  So I have put a note on Facebook to all our student group, that I am going to various exhibitions (like Pinpoint) and applied art galleries, suggesting that if anyone wants to come with me, they are welcome.  I am very much enjoying the V&A lectures in London, and just need to add a visit to a small gallery each week beforehand, to hit this particular target.

The lecture by Drusilla Cole was a delight. Lots of images of pattern from a variety of sources, but key points were: visual interest requires:

Different colours - contrast, different values are important
Shapes - larger shapes dominate
Sizes - larger sizes dominate
Subject matter - different objects vary in attention seeking.

I very much enjoy listening to knowledgeable people talking about their subject.

On Friday I went to see Aunt Audrey, (aged 83) to see whether she had any old 1950s coats that I could reline for my exhibition.  I was confident that, as the family hoarder, she would have plenty of coats I could use.  Unfortunately I think her daughter has been quietly turning out cupboards and disposing of anything time-expired, and I do hope I have not caused an argument, by raising the subject of ancient clothing!  Still, we had a lovely day, discussing my theme of Women's Work, and Aunt Audrey, as an ex Domestic Science teacher, was most supportive of my ideas.

However when I got home, a 1950s dress pattern that I bought on Ebay arrived.  I plan to make this up with my own fabric printed with kitchen utensils, for me to wear at our final year show.  I have also started knitting a cardigan with laceweight turquoise wool that will have three-quarter length sleeves that will look fantastic (I hope) to go with the dress.

No comments:

Post a Comment