Thursday 2 May 2013

Thoughts from the swimming pool no 9

Another 1350m swim and I felt strong and powerful.

I was thinking about my review in a couple of weeks time.  I am starting to see that the development work I have done about women's work is quite good, although it has taken me for ever to get there.  I was thinking about how to target different markets, which has facilitated my understanding of how my ideas have developed.  I worked up 3 cushions depicting weighing scales, and although they are very nice, they appeal to a middle class, middle aged female market.  This is a valid market for commercial application, but not what I want to target.  I want to work towards more thought provoking work and my ruminations around how linings represent women's work, are becoming more important.  Linings improve how curtains and clothes wear - they are largely invisible, but support and improve the feel and life of the object - just like women's work!  I need to find women's domestic objects/garments that are lined - preferably for working class women.  Or what else gets lined?  Drawers?  (Furniture, not knickers!)  I need to work out how to incorporate some of my cutting one-liners into my portrayal of women's work - this would emulate Timorous Beasties work. I am ok about emulating their work, which is odd, because I cannot praise Caren Garfen's work highly enough and if I were to emulate her work, I would feel I was plagiarising it - and I would not insult her work by so doing! 

I also considered what to say at my review, about the Degree Planning module.  I have been worried that I have not produced enough samples or completed objects.  But today, swimming up and down, I realised Planning is about Thinking.  Next year, Final Major Project, is about Organising - ie Doing.  Most people confuse planning & organising and think they are the same.  But if you differentiate it into Thinking and Doing, the difference becomes obvious.  I have done lots of thinking (at which I am very slow and ponderous) and that is ok, because that is what this module is all about. 

I am still exploring different drawing styles and am looking forward to my next class at City Lit.  Last Friday we worked on continuous line drawing and I meant to practice on my domestic objects during the week.  As usual, life just got too busy, so that never happened, but I still have good intentions. 

No comments:

Post a Comment