Wednesday 8 January 2014

Back to uni

Back to school.  I had a tutorial with Steve which went rather better than the last one 8 weeks ago.

I showed my stitched domestic utensils. He felt I had made progress compared to the previous session, where I felt I was running in treacle. Steve was unconvinced by the idea of cutting them into jam jar covers, but liked the way that they could be layered and wrapped.  He liked the difference in density of stitch, and felt they should be wrapped around an object so that the object becomes concealed, and the focus is on the work in the stitched details. Maybe a jam jar wrapped up, or a christmas pudding in a cloth. We debated whether the inner wrappings could be printed or stitched but felt the integrity of the piece required stitch throughout.  We had a debate about how I could incorporate class in my work - I have recently been looking at Grayson Perry's 6 social class tapestries (raw edges for working class, gold edging for middle class; linen pulled work edging for upper class).  We had a discussion about whether my work was polemic.  I don't see it as such - I am not having a rant from an extreme position (my definition of polemic).  My work is feminist, but not in a hectoring tone.  I seek recognition for the value and benefits of women's work but I don't see it as overtly political.  I think Steve sees it as feminist and political and although he conducts himself professionally, he is not comfortable with it.  I am quite disappointed that my work is being pushed back to stitch, which I could already do when I started uni 5 years ago.  I would like to be using at least some skills that I have learned since starting uni.  Otherwise, what is the point?

Today I went back to class where Beth, Amy, Nikita and I had a critique with Antje.  I explained my feedback from Steve, and Antje was not convinced.

Antje felt doing all the hand work, then using it by concealing a lot of the work in layers of wrapping was inappropriate.  She very much liked the machine embroidery of the utensils and understood the individual work on each item emulated the amount of work in jam making.  She liked the use of individual motifs in a multiple, but felt the idea to use jam jar covers displayed in a grid could be better developed.  She suggested looking at Damien Hirst for work that utilises circles (circles are important to my work because they are in saucepans, jam jars, lids, drain holes in colanders etc).  She suggested some stitch in a jam colour (I have already worked in orange).

Antje asked who was my audience, and where was the work going to be displayed?  This changes every time I think about it. It is definitely directed at women, where there will be recognition and familiarity of the items portrayed.  Antje thought that once I have the imagery right, the completed pieces should come back into the kitchen.  Larger pieces could be made for a gallery setting, but smaller pieces - more affordable - would be the spin-off.  Tea towels, runners etc, as Caren Garfen had done.  This very much surprised me.  For months I have been pushed away from any practical application and towards pure art objects.

I mentioned my ideas about putting a colander with the word "drained" on a upholstered chair, a mixing bowl, rolling pin and lump of pastry with the word "resting" on a footstool and a coffee percolator with the words "perked up" on a coffee mug.  Antje liked the humour, and the relationshp between the human and utensil. I was told to continue to engage with my pieces.

Antje was unconvinced about using cotton organza as a medium, whether or not it emulated muslin as a fabric true to the domestic kitchen environment.  She was very much in favour of linen for tea towels and hand towels.  We had a big debate about roller towels - the youngsters did not know what they were!!  But I could very easily see my little hand sketches along the centre or side of a roller towel.  Either the drawings or the embroideries would work as a print.  My work is simplifying and I think sections of single images are working well, although they could be used as a selective repeat.  I was told to continue to link appropriates words with the imagery.  More thought required.

I was told to work up a series of outcomes.   I was told to work up both stitch and print forms.  (I am OK with both of these and they fit my intentions).  I was told to bring my work back to the kitchen to make it contemporary.  I am still struggling to understand this.  I don't get how using domestic heritage ideas can become contemporary, without it being "vintage".  How can a roller towel be contemporary? By the application of wit and wording?  I lack understanding!

But at least I'm making progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment