Monday 9 December 2013

Sticking with it

Today I had a disastrous day at class.  I very much like my hemp/ramie samples and decided to try to draw my colander in the same monoprint style.  I bought litho inks and gave it a try.  It was a disaster.  I had the opposite of the King Midas touch - the King Sadim touch, where everything I touched turned to dust!  The ink was too thick and sticky, it had lumps and did not print well.  Eventually I gave up in a huff and came home.

But on reflection, I will stick with it.  I need some good, free drawings of the colander.  Lucy, a technician, said my work was loose and free and had a good contemporary feel.  This pleased me as I had just read the External Verifiers report for 2012/13 which noted last year's students' work was safe and old fashioned.  I will try drawing in charcoal and pastel, as I did at the City Lit, to see if I can get the freedom and fluidity back.  Driving home, I could just visualise really clearly what I want to make!  My cook's chair, with one colander image on each cushion: an eye level drawing on the back cushion; acolander viewed from above on the seat cushion, and the arm cushions would have sideways views that feature the handles.  And the wording, stitched on, should be "drained".  For the first time I can see clearly what I want to make.  Just got to get on and draw now.

No comments:

Post a Comment