Tuesday 31 December 2013

Back on track

I felt quite downhearted and talentless before Christmas so had a bit of a break.

Recently I have focussed on 2 projects, the jam jar labels and a knitting project.  I have spent a lot of time drawing kitchen objects, creating backgrounds, and trying to combine the two.

Background created by group exercise
Drawing that extends beyond the background
Background from two pieces of background
Drawing limited to size of quartered background
Drawing on two different pieces of background
Drawing on two pieces of background, restricted to an area within the background
Drawing incorporating an element of the background (the curve of the fixing screw).

I then tried the same exercises at home, using my own backgrounds, and unfortunately these were less successful, but elements have been useful in further development.

Maslin pan with quartered background
Mincer on own background.
 This implement is borrowed from a neighbour, and I am not yet familiar with it an an object.
The perspective is still wonky!  But it is a very handsome object and I love it.
Probably my best effort but the background is too bold.
Wonky perspective but I love the mincing disc detail.
This will be used further.
Machine embroidering onto silk organza
This section will be used as a jam jar cover, as part of a multiple.
I later discovered that creating a grid structure when building up tone,
was not a good idea. when the shaping should have been formed by curved lines 
Cotton organza was more pleasing to handle and stitch
I need a lot of these embroidered sections for the display I have in mind.  It is slow and steady progress as I can only do 3 or 4 at a time, before my neck gives out.  I have 27 completed so far.  I am particularly pleased with the ones of the mincer disc and maslin pan handles.  The precise number will depend on how they are laid out (enough for a year's produce?  enough for the marmalade allocation).  Do I create a plain grid, or something symbolic of the holes in a colander (hexagonal spots with one central spot).  The circular shape is becoming important as it is so prevalent in cooking - the shape of saucepans and colanders, drainage holes, jar lids etc.

When I was in Franklins, my favourite sewing shop, buying more cotton organza, I had an idea about a piece about knitting.  I like things that are incomplete (just as well, as I struggle to complete anything).  I was talking to some Polish ladies (migrant workers), who were buying wool and yarn for a christening shawl.  We were admiring the complicated pattern.  If I had seen these ladies working in the  fields, I would not have thought about their knitting skills.  I hold strong views about undervalued people, recognition of skills, work that is never finished/always ongoing and people who are marginalised.  So what about a selection of pieces of knitting, all unfinished and hanging on stitch holders?  All different lengths.  Each piece to have a beautiful knitted border, demonstrating considerable skill, but actually representing people who are marginalised but unseen.  I'd need to write the artist statement very carefully, as the emotion I want to inspire when it is read, is one of recognition. This idea has legs!
This pattern was really difficult and will look much better when pressed.
It is made from extra fine merino laceweight wool, as selected by the Polish ladies.  

No comments:

Post a Comment