Tuesday 17 September 2013

I have my best ideas at the swimming pool

I have been exploring different types of print recently, using monoprints and linocuts .  When playing with Wreck This Journal, I used a wooden spoon to make sticky marks, as directed in the instructions.  This made me start to look at the stains I made on the hob when I cooked.

While swimming, I thought about other kitchen utensils and the type of marks they would make, when used as a printing implement.  Some could make obvious identifiable marks, like the potato masher, and others less so, like the potato peeler.  And once on this theme, there are all sorts of marks associated with Women's Work, that women would find identifiable, if household detritus were used as a printing media - rubber gloves, detergent bottles, spilt cleaning materials etc.  So that is what I am doing this afternoon - printing with acrylic paint and household materials.

No comments:

Post a Comment