Tuesday 20 August 2013

Sunday Monoprint Class

I had a lovely time at the City Lit class.  Last week I was working with a spoon shape while I became familiar with how the materials worked.

This week I had decided to work with a potato peeler shape.  I decided to avoid working with A4 and A3 paper sizes, so worked with long narrow rectangles, approximately the size of a double length piece of A4.  I had torn paper shapes of both a potato peeler and Mum's old jam spoon.  The torn edges of the stencils were very clearly defined in print.  I stencilled, wiped, painted, scratched and scraped into the print plate and achieved some very interesting effects.  Some are better than others, so I need to identify pay which ones are good enough to stand as they are, and which ones can be worked into again.  I have looked at Degas and if he could keep one copy as an unadulterated print, and work into the ghost print (second copy, either from the plate or taken from the first print), then so can I.

I am pleased with the 40+ prints I have made, and feel I am making good progress towards the 150 required for the summer project.

I have also thought some more about the Caulfield exhibition at the Tate at the weekend.  One of the style changes that was in his work, was where he varied the style of painting in different areas of an image.  Thick line drawings, with flat pattern, with photorealistic areas.  He was combining and layering styles.  One of my ideas is to vary the drawing style and layer imagery, which I think will work very well in digital print.  But I am also trying to simplify my work, and one reason why I don't like his work is because it is just too busy and confusing.  Too many styles, patterns and colour together.  Maybe this is why I am working a lot in black and white, while I work out what my message/concept is, before going into pattern and colour as well as line and texture.

I have not finished thinking yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment