Wednesday 21 August 2013

My best birthday present

It was my birthday a couple of days ago and I have been playing with my favourite present.  I received a book "Wreck This Journal" by Keri Smith.

This is a wonderful art project book that is very light hearted and fun, and very good at getting me not to get too precious about my work.  I am completing this book on the theme of jam making, and the instructions have tasks like "put something sticky on this page", "break the spine", "write your name in white", "poke holes in this page", put this journal in the shower with you".

I have had a good fun day with it.  I have written forwards and backwards, painted in ink, drawn with water soluble pencils and crayons, scribbled with brio and smeared it with jam.  Then I had a shower and put it in the shower cubicle with me.  The water has made the Quink ink break down and has given some very interesting effects that I could not have achieved any other way.  It has really freed my drawing style and made art fun again.

Thank you Shirley for choosing a great present!


No comments:

Post a Comment