Tuesday 4 December 2012

Approaching Essay Deadline

I have spent the last 7 days working on my essay.  It has reached a fairly refined state now.  I have about 5,200 words written out of 6,000. 

I was worrying about taking on board the advice from my tutor to include some information about the slow textile movement, but have now worked out my rationale on why I shall ignore the advice.  I have received a case study from Linda Kemshall, a top English textile artist.  I want to make best use of this data, and use another 300 words to bring the analysis of her work to about 800 words.  This means I have 500 words left for the conclusion.  Unless I prune other parts of the essay, I won't have the word count to add another section.  And I have remembered one of the key points made at the beginning of our plenary sessions.  "Make fewer points and explore them thoroughly".  So I shall ignore the slow textile movement, explore the case study thoroughly and make sure that the conclusion sums up well.  The introduction will be re-written to explain the themes of the essay, the main body will explore these themes thoroughly, and the conclusion will reiterate the themes and link them together.  In other words, "Tell them what you are going to tell them, tell them, tell them what you've told them". 

I have 10 days to the deadline.  I have to finish the case study (300 words); write the conclusion (500 words);  source images, write the Illustrations list; and conduct final edit and proof reading; then print, bind and hand in.  This is achieveable in the time available.  I aim to hand in on Monday afternoon, 10 December.  I absolutely cannot handle rushing at the last minute - if I worked up to the deadline of 14 December, I would be at emotional melt down.  This is not good for me or anyone else!

No comments:

Post a Comment