Thursday 20 December 2012

A slow student

I had all sorts of good intentions having completed my essay and got it handed in. 

I was going to get really stuck into drawing pomegranates - colour, black and white, both whole and sections of broken fruit.  But I have only managed 4 pencil versions and 2 colour ones over the last 10 days.  Instead I have had a couple of day trips up to London and then my neck started playing up.  I thought it was because I had been sitting lop-sided to draw, but when I went to the chiropractor, he said my symptoms fitted well with falling off my bike about 10 days ago.  So I am back to stretching and icing my shoulder! 

However, having said how little drawing I have done, I am very, very pleased with the pencil drawings and can see how digital print would convey the tonal values very well.  Also, I used the inktense pencils to draw the pomegranates in colour, and when I apply the water with a paintbrush it makes the imagery come alive, with a rush of brilliance in the colours.  Once again, digital print will make this work very well. 

I have also been thinking about how to enhance digital print, when applied to home furnishings.  I drew the pomegranates with the calyx facing me, and it occured to me that if this were a cushion front, I could hand stitch the calyx to make it physically stand proud and come forward, to give an element of dimensionality.  What about greatly increasing the scale of the calyx?  Also what about drawing the pomegranate from the rear, and stitching the end of the stalk so it stood proud, and using this for the back of the cushion.

No comments:

Post a Comment